Monday, March 02, 2009

Itsy bitsy spider

Yesterday morning I woke up to a tiny spider hovering several feet above my face. I laid there, thinking it looked as though it was clambering up the molecules of air, or some invisible ladder, when it abruptly dropped a foot. I moved quicker than I thought possible, and Pope leaped into the fray.

It reminded me of a time in chapel at Asbury College. I was sitting on the main floor, with nearly two stories of open space above my head, when I noticed (along with a good chunk of the student body in the section I was in) a fat spider slowly, methodically lowering itself from the ceiling (I remind you that said ceiling was nearly two stories above). It landed on a student's shoulder several rows ahead of me (which should give you an idea of just how large said spider was, that I could spot it with my naked eye). We all watched with bated breath as someone tapped this student's other shoulder. Since it was a guy, he just casually brushed the spider off his shoulder and resumed listening to the sermon. It was rather anti-climatic, and I always wondered what would have happened if it had been a girl.

1 comment:

d-wain said...

you should have screamed.