Saturday, May 23, 2009

Eyes have it all

I am a very visual person--a visual learner, if you will, to use education terminology. My auditory senses and I have an uneasy truce (obviously), but I can rely wholeheartedly on my eyes for a visual feast.

When I was a child, I used to play one of those tormenting either/or games and ask myself: "Would I rather be blind or deaf?" After serious consideration, I would always decide that I would prefer deafness over blindness. I'm not sure if already being hard of hearing gives me an unfair advantage since I already know what it's like not to hear (though not what it's like to be profoundly, stone cold deaf), but the thought of not being able to see trees or people's eyes or the shape of letters on the page or the artwork of James McNeill Whistler or a trail snaking round the bend makes me cold to the bone.

Over the past year, I've come across a few blogs for which the visual element is an integral part of their makeup:

And the Pursuit of Happiness, by Maria Kalman
Posie Gets Cozy, by Alicia Paulson
3191 Miles Apart, by Stephanie and Mav

These bloggers have a way of focusing on visual details, whether mundane or profound, that makes the experience or story they describe more palpable, more real. I like them very much.

No comments: