Sunday, August 20, 2006

While rummaging through my stuff stored in the Edwards' basement, I came across a bag of books--it must have been forgotten in the move to Stone Ave.--that contained the Anne of Green Gables series. The time seemed right to re-read them (you know how you can't read some books unless the moment is right--I couldn't read the Lord of the Rings at a certain point, only to pick it up again a year or so later and lose myself forever in Tolkien mythology), so I carted them all home and have been plowing through them. I'm almost finished with the third book already.
Anne is turning out to be one of my favorite literary characters. She is described at one point as being "surrounded by possibility", which makes me think of my cousin Rosie. When Rosie walks into the room, things seem to pick up. She has that rare talent of being the center of attention without demanding it; people flock to her, not because they wish to get on her good side, but because she seems to bring out the best in those around her.

2 comments:

d-wain said...

I must confess that I have a crush on Emily of New Moon. If you haven't, read them! Somehow more satisfying than Anne, though I love the latter.

Laura said...

That's funny. The director of the Clark County library told me to read the Emily series. She liked them much better than Anne--thought Anne was too syrupy.
I certainly plan on meeting Emily after Anne.