Sunday, August 03, 2008

Great whites in TV

Last week was sharkweek on the Discovery Channel.

Since I am an animal lover, I think even sharks are beautiful. But I'm still afraid of them. Especially the great white. So much so, that when there were shots in open water (without the barrier of a shark cage) of the great white passing by, my stomach was tight with fear. To give you an idea of how much this fear has always troubled me, when I was a child, I used to be afraid of great whites in Lake Ripley in Wisconsin. Illogical as this seems, it goes to illustrate the point that fear is beyond rational thought.

The funny thing is, I'm not afraid of swimming in the ocean. At least there, I can handle my fear. Watching a great white approach on camera, unable to do anything about it, limited to the scope of the camera, my imagination runs wild. What if...What if...?

This is why I do not watch scary movies.

No comments: