Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Now for the other outfit

As J. is accompanying me to the Jane Austen Festival, I have to come up with an outfit for him.  You wouldn't think this, but men's outfits from the early 19th century are surprisingly complicated to create.  With a woman's gown, once you've got the top part fitted, it's pretty easy (relatively speaking) to whip up the skirt and be done.  A lot more goes into the man's outfit.  There's the frock coat, the waist coat, the under shirt, and the drop front pants.  LivingwithJane is determined to create outfits for both her husband and mine, bless her heart.  This on top of figuring out my round gown.

While researching an outfit for J., I came across this portrait of Rubens Peale, who bears an uncanny resemblance to J.

For color combinations, I'm thinking a dark green for the frock coat (the equivalent of suit jackets today), a neutral dark grey/khaki for the pants.  I'm not sure what I want for the waistcoat (the vest worn under the frock coat).  If I can't make up my mind, I'll use the old standby, white.

I'm wishing I had the 2009 Emma to watch, as I liked Mr. Knightley's outfits.

No comments: