Saturday, April 07, 2007

If you want a self-esteem boost, go find a baby. They look at you like you're the greatest thing on earth. Autumn is curious about everything, but once her gaze passes over your face, her eyes light up and she will stare at you in rapt adoration forever with a bubbly smile.

One time, I was walking down an aisle in the children's department at Joseph-Beth. There was a fat baby learning how to take her first awkward steps. She was staring at the ground in determination. Once I was close enough that my shoes entered her line of vision, she stopped with a fascinated, perplexed expression on her face. I watched as her eyes traveled up the length of my body, wondering what on earth it was about me that had captivated her so, and once her gaze reached my eyes, her face exploded in glee. She shrieked with joy ( I kid you not) and beamed such a delightful smile at me that nothing could stop the smile forming on my lips in return.

No comments: