Wednesday, July 04, 2007

The countdown begins for the last Harry Potter book...

Lots of rumors are flying about what will happen: will Harry die? Whose side is Snape really on? How will Voldemort be defeated? and so on and so forth. I've read some intriguing guesses about what will happen, from predictable places like the Leaky Cauldron, and from not so predictable places like Books & Culture--Alan Jacobs muses over what might happen.

I am starting to seriously suspect that Harry will die--that he will willingly sacrifice his life to completely and utterly destroy Voldemort. What makes me lean this way, however reluctantly, is the fact that I've just read a quote from JK Rowling:

"Every time I’ve been asked if I believe in God, I've said yes, because I do, but no one ever really has gone any more deeply into it than that, and I have to say that does suit me, because if I talk too freely about that I think the intelligent reader, whether 10 or 60, will be able to guess what’s coming in the books." (Wyman, Max. " 'You can lead a fool to a book but you can't make them think': Author has frank words for the religious right," The Vancouver Sun (British Columbia), October 26, 2000)

Other people are afraid of this, and of how it will affect the kids who have grown up with Harry. There are even articles out there counseling parents on what to do and say should Harry die. I don't see the need to worry so much--kids are tougher than we think, or are willing to admit.

No comments: