Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Who wants to throw sheep?

I've just visited MySpace and was reminded why I never developed my profile there. The sensation one gets from wading around that site is of a deer caught in the headlights. Where do you go? How do you get out? These questions are blindsided by the sheer volume of advertising on that site.

I managed to find a friend there, and the experience lightened up considerably, though it was still a little overwhelming. I was surprised at the difference between MySpace and Facebook. I thought the former would have as much, if not more, "stuff" going on, yet Facebook trumps MySpace in everything and manages to maintain a friendly user-interface. To see what I'm talking about, check out my account. Apparently, you can do silly things like throw sheep at people, too (I have not yet loaded that feature).

Whether I maintain my profile at Facebook depends on how much energy I want to invest in it, and whether I develop an actual community of people to interact with--it's not much fun if you're just posting messages to yourself. That's one thing to remember with all these cool new things developing on the internet: just what exactly can I use this for? I don't want to fall into the old trap I did when email was a new thing: checking it almost every hour, just in case.

No comments: